Everyone has the right to work in an environment that’s safe, professional, and free of sexual harassment. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. Many types of harassment can occur in the workplace and can be extremely damaging to employees.
If you’ve experienced sexual harassment in the workplace, take action to protect your rights. The first step is to speak with a sexual harassment lawyer as soon as possible. But how can a legal representative help you? Here is everything you need to know about sexual harassment and how a sexual harassment lawyer near me can protect your rights if you find yourself in this unfortunate situation.
What Constitutes Sexual Harassment?
- There are three main types of sexual harassment: Verbal, non-verbal, and physical. Verbal sexual harassment includes statements like inappropriate comments about a person’s body, sexual remarks, and the use of sexual language that targets the person.
- Non-verbal sexual harassment refers to inappropriate gestures, leering, ogling, and other visual conduct that is sexual.
- Physical sexual harassment includes unwelcomed hugging, kissing, and other inappropriate physical conduct.
3 Ways a Sexual Harassment Lawyer Near Me Can Help You Protect Your Rights in the Event of Sexual Harassment
- Advising You On How To Protect Your Rights
If you are experiencing sexual harassment in the workplace, a sexual harassment lawyer near me can help you know how to protect your rights. They can outline the different courses of action you can take to protect yourself and help you understand the steps you can take to stop the harassment. If you are unsure whether your situation constitutes sexual harassment, your lawyer can help you determine what to do.
- Guiding You Through Your Employer’s Formal Complaint Process
If you decide to file a sexual harassment charge with your employer, your lawyer can guide you through the process. They can help you navigate your employer’s complaint policy and file a charge with the EEOC if you believe your complaint was not handled appropriately.
- Taking Your Case To Court
If your sexual harassment case is so severe that legal action is the only path forward, a sexual harassment lawyer can help you take your case to court. They can also represent you in mediation or at a hearing if your complaint makes its way to the system.
When Should You File Your Workplace Sexual Harassment Claim?
Sexual harassment claims are subject to a statute of limitations. This means you have a certain amount of time to file a claim after the incident. The exact time depends on the state in which you live and the circumstances of your case. A sexual harassment lawyer can help ensure that your claim is filed within your state’s time limit.
A Sexual harassment lawyer near me can help you understand your rights and protect yourself from unwarranted sexual advances in the workplace. If someone has sexually harassed you at work, filing a claim as soon as possible is important to ensure you do not lose your right to compensation.