It can be tough to budget for travel when you’re on a strict student budget. But while it may seem impossible, there are ways to enjoy America’s Test Kitchen with a minimal budget. In this post, we’ll explore some of the many options available to those looking to get their kitchen fix without spending too much money.
Forget spending your entire paycheck on an expensive cooking class. Instead, learn how to cook with the best chefs in America absolutely free and using only what you already have. That’s right, they’re offering online cooking classes with no prior experience required at home. In this guide I will show you how to do that and more!
In this guide, I will walk you through the process of signing up for America’s Test Kitchen and then following their six-week course without any outside assistance.
1. First, let’s talk about the cost
The classes are free but you’ll need to pay for shipping…
And then you’ll need to buy their book, which is surprisingly very affordable: $20 total for a hardcover copy and it comes with a CD in addition to the text. The book wasn’t even published when I started this so it’s not listed on Amazon yet, but if you’re interested, you can check out their website . A quick search of Amazon reveals that the book is on sale for about ten bucks just about anywhere these days. The shipping, on the other hand, is free since they ship everything they send to you via Google Shopping.
2. The Remaining Details
America’s Test Kitchen operates in a very specific way. First they will email you a specific page number with a list of groceries needed for that particular recipe. Then, you go to your local market and buy those exact ingredients (no substitutions). When you get home, you will chop your vegetables, bake your bread (if necessary), and create whatever else is needed for the recipe. You’ll then take pictures of each step and submit them to America’s Test Kitchen . After all of this is done, it’s time for critique…
3. Follow the Reviews
The reviews that America’s Test Kitchen gives you are EXTREMELY helpful. In fact, I made three separate trips to the grocery store because I received a review that said “you need ____.” After you have your final revisions, it’s time for critique and then it all comes together!
4. Getting Started
How To Sign Up For America’s Test Kitchen Online Class
HERE is a link to sign up online through their website. You will then receive an email with specific instructions on how to send that information back to them. From there, you wait patiently for your first lesson to arrive. It’s that simple!
5. What You Get
Over the course of six weeks, you will receive a weekly email with the following.
6. The Lessons: What They Teach
In this section I will go over everything that your learn over the course of six weeks. These are very traditional lessons that teach everything from basic knife skills to how to make your own pasta!
In Summary: The America’s Test Kitchen online courses are amazing and very affordable.
Notes on America’s Test Kitchen:
* You must sign up for this class through the website link provided because if you try to sign up any other way, they will not accept you.
* This is a fantastic class but it’s extremely time consuming. I probably spent one to two hours per day cooking, taking pictures, and writing up my critiques. However, if you’re willing to put the time in and do it properly, you will learn a lot!
* Typically the recipes are relatively straightforward and simple; however, the book does contain several recipes that I would classify as intermediate or advanced (chocolate chip cookies).
* Signed up for this back in January but have been too busy to start the class.
* My only issue is that I wish they had some sort of digital copy or video version of this so that I could watch it at my own pace and pause it when needed. It would also eliminate shipping costs and reduce the time commitment.
* One has to wonder how many people actually finish this class though given the time commitment required to do it properly. However, I completed mine and received great feedback on both videos.
This is an amazingly great class. The method of getting involved is also excellent. All in all, if you are willing to put the time and effort in to complete this one properly, it will truly be worth it!
If you are from the United States I do recommend signing up for this class because it will open your eyes to a lot of groceries that you may not have known you needed.